GBP for Early Chapter Books
The Golden Baobab Prize for Early Chapter Books
The Golden Baobab Prize for Early Chapter Books is awarded to the best unpublished manuscript for an early chapter book targeting readers aged 9 to 11 years old. The prize package includes an award of $5,000 (USD), the opportunity to publish with and receive royalties from Golden Baobab’s top tier African and international publishing partners, the benefit of increased publicity that comes with being named a Golden Baobab Prize winner, and the opportunity to attend a Golden Baobab award ceremony.
Early Bird deadline: 11.59pm GMT, Sunday, July 31, 2016.
Final Submission deadline: 11.59pm GMT, Thursday, October 13th, 2016.
Announcement of Winners: Monday, November 21st, 2016
All submissions receive equal treatment and evaluation however we encourage early submissions. Any entrant submitting their work by our ‘Early Bird’ deadline will be sent a summary of the comments on their submission from the judging committee of the Golden Baobab Prizes. No entries received after the final submission deadline will be considered.
Rules and Regulations
- Submissions should be between 7,000 and 10,000 words in length and intended for readers from ages 9 to 11 years old. Submissions must be text only. No illustrations.
- Entrants may submit up to 3 stories per prize and are eligible to enter stories to more than one prize. Example: An entrant may submit up to 3 stories to the Golden Baobab Prize for Picture Books and at the same time up to 3 stories to the Golden Baobab Prize for Early Chapter Books.
- Entry is open to citizens of an African country. A copy of a passport or comparable document will be required of winners and long listed entrants. There are no restrictions on age or race.
- Previous entrants of the Prize are eligible to enter in subsequent years. Past winners of the Prize are ineligible to re-enter.
- Entries to the Golden Baobab Prize must be original and not previously published anywhere else. The unpublished manuscripts are to be written in English and must be the unaided work of the entrant and in no way violates any existing copyright.
- The copyright of each entry will remain vested in the author unless otherwise agreed in writing between the entrant and Golden Baobab.
- Submissions must be made under the author’s legal name, as it is written on his or her valid passport or other comparable identification. Additionally, he or she may indicate a desire for the story to be represented under a pseudonym.
- There are no restrictions on theme, but stories must be set in Africa or have a very evident African content.
How to Submit
- Entries should be submitted as a Word document in .doc or .docx format. Do not submit PDFs.
- The filename of the document you submit should be saved as the prize you are entering and the title of the story. Example: EarlyChapterBook_MysteryOfTheCarThief
- Entries should have a title page stating: title of story and prize to which story is being submitted. Author’s name should not be included on title page or anywhere else in the document.
- Subject line of submission email should indicate: First Name, Last Name_Early Chapter Book Prize_Title of Story. Example: Martha Salim_Early Chapter Book Prize_Mystery Of The Car Thief
- The body of your submission email should state the following details:
- Date of Birth (eg. 13th June 1980):
- Male or Female:
- Country of citizenship:
- Which prize are you entering:
- Phone number (country code-area code-number):
- How I heard about the Golden Baobab Prize (just a sentence or two):
ALL entries will be acknowledged with an email to the address from which the entry was sent.
Use of Information
- By submitting to the Golden Baobab Prize entrants declare that they are the sole proprietor of the work and it does not infringe any existing copyright. Entrants shall hold harmless and indemnify Golden Baobab from any violations of copyright.
- All entrants retain all rights to their submissions unless otherwise agreed in writing between the entrant and Golden Baobab. To support authors with promotion, Golden Baobab requests to be informed when any submitted manuscripts to the Prize become published.
- Longlisted and shortlisted submissions will be promoted for two years by Golden Baobab to leading African and international publishers. Within this period entrants that want to give the rights of their submissions to other interested parties will need the prior written consent of Golden Baobab. Winning submissions are guaranteed a publishing contract. There will be no advance added to the prize money but the author will receive royalties.
- By submitting to the Golden Baobab Prize you agree to receive emails containing periodic updates from Golden Baobab. Golden Baobab respects your privacy and will never share your personal information with any third party. You can choose to unsubscribe at any time.
- Golden Baobab reserves nonexclusive rights to use parts/segments/extracts of submissions to the Prize for press, promotion and for the website. Authors and illustrators will always be acknowledged.
- By submitting to the Prize all entrants agree to allow the free use of their names, photographs and general locations for publicity and news purposes during this and any future promotion by Golden Baobab.
- Without the written consent of Golden Baobab, the use of the name or logo of Golden Baobab and the Golden Baobab Prize for any commercial or promotional use related to the submissions, is prohibited.
By entering the Golden Baobab Prize all eligible entrants agree to abide by these terms and conditions.The prize administration reserves the right to disqualify fraudulent entries and entries that do not conform to set rules. No correspondence will be pursued in this regard.