GBP for Illustrators
The Golden Baobab Prize for Illustrators
The Golden Baobab Prize for Illustrators is awarded to an African illustrator of any age who demonstrates skill, interest and talent for children’s illustrations. The prize package for this award is $5,000 (USD). All finalist illustrators receive an introduction of their work and portfolio to African and international publishers, an exhibition of all finalist illustrations and the benefit of increased publicity that comes with being named a finalist of the Golden Baobab Prize for illustrators.
Early Bird deadline: 11.59pm GMT, Friday, June 30th, 2017.
Final Submission deadline: 11.59pm GMT, Monday, July 31st, 2017.
All submissions receive equal treatment and evaluation however we encourage early submissions. Any entrant submitting their work by our ‘Early Bird’ deadline will be sent a summary of the comments on their submission from the judging committee of the Golden Baobab Prizes. No entries received after the final submission deadline will be considered.
What to Submit to the Golden Baobab Prize for Illustrators
Entrants will submit 3 pieces.
One illustration from your existing illustration portfolio
An illustration following your choice of one of these briefs.
Brief A: While a chameleon makes friends with a zebra, the lion watches.
Brief B: The teacher has left the class in a hurry leaving a little girl in charge. How will her schoolmates behave?
Brief C: A boy hides in the middle of a wedding.
An animal reading a book. The animal should be one that can be found in Africa. This illustration should have a white background.
Rules and Regulations
- The Golden Baobab Prize for Illustrators is open to African citizens of all ages. Passport ID page verification will be required
- The illustrations should be intended for children between the ages of 4 and 10 and they must be imaginative and appealing to the target audience
- Illustrations should be in colour
- Illustrations can be created using any medium of the illustrator's choice (for example, you can create your illustration by hand and scan it or create it digitally etc.)
- Entrants must submit only the materials requested by the prizes according to what is stated on the website. Additional submissions will not be considered
- All entries except portfolio materials must be original unpublished illustrations
- All entries must be the unaided work of the entrant. You are not permitted to submit another person's illustrations as your own
- Illustrations should be in .jpeg and must be a maximum of 10MB each. Minimum 300 DPI
- The copyright of each entry will remain vested in the entrant. Golden Baobab reserved the right to use entries to promote the unless otherwise agreed in writing between the entrant and Golden Baobab
- Submissions must be made under an illustrator’s legal name, as it is written on his or her passport or other identification. Additionally, he or she may indicate a desire for the illustration to be represented under a pseudonym
- The Golden Baobab Prizes administration reserves the right to disqualify entries that do not conform to set rules. No correspondence will be pursued in this regard
How to Submit
- First and last name
- Male or female
- Date of birth
- I declare that these illustrations are my own original work and not a copy of any existing material, published or unpublished.
- Signed (write your full name)
ALL entries will be acknowledged with an email to the address from which the entry was sent.
Use of Information
- By submitting to the Golden Baobab Prize entrants declare that they are the sole proprietor of the work and it does not infringe any existing copyright. Entrants shall hold harmless and indemnify Golden Baobab from any violations of copyright
- All entrants retain all rights to their submissions unless otherwise agreed in writing between the entrant and Golden Baobab.
- By submitting to the Golden Baobab Prize for Illustrators you agree to receive emails containing periodic updates from Golden Baobab. Golden Baobab respects your privacy and will never share your personal information with any third party.You can choose to unsubscribe at any time.